Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Another first

Well everyone, the photo below may not be a photographers delight, and does not show much because I had to hide some identifying info.  This piece of paper is more than a page with a red banner.   It represents a huge move for me, albeit kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

 
I have now graduated from not just battling with the intricacies of actually owning a computer, creating a blog, etc.,  to phone banking,(which was a huge step in itself,) and now to paying online for a booking and getting an E Ticket....my very first.  Yeh!!!!!! My very first E Ticket....wow!  I might have to frame a copy. 

All this time I have been saying no to doing anything regarding money on line, but last year was forced to get a bank account that I could use to pay accounts over the phone since I no longer drive.  

Soon I intend going  on holiday to visit my son and his wife, but that meant getting into town to the bus depot to book and pay for my fare..so after days of research, and a follow up phone call to make sure I would not be duped I took the plunge and used my card to PAY ONLINE.

I imagined that I would collect a ticket at the terminal on the day of my departure, but lo and behold, I received an email, and was able to download and print my ticket. ...amazing!!!!

The wonders of this modern world are astounding!!!! particularly for an almost  74 year old biddy.

I suppose that means the family will be saying the next step is  online banking....well you know what they say  about hell freezing over and I think that might apply here.  I have a terrible dread that some awful little man sitting in a tiny dark room in front of a computer somewhere across the world will find me and take all my savings....but you never know what the future brings do you.

8 comments:

  1. Woo, Hoo! Congratulations, Shirley! You are no longer a Pay OnLine virgin!! (Can I say that on your blog?) ;)
    Isn't it amazing how free you feel when you can look around on your computer for what you need versus going downtown and getting lost!
    I'm so happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Computers! what did we ever do without them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Shirley, you should give online banking a go too. I've been doing it for years and it is so much easier than going out to the bank. All the major banks have very secure online websites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Shirley, CONGRATULATIONS!! I know what a big step it is to conquer one's demons regarding technology, and I'm younger than you. I hope more internet purchasing will come in time, and perhaps the banking, but I know where you are coming from with that, same here. I am so excited for you with this step, and of course, I certainly hope you'll enjoy the trip and the holiday. I also hope you are not freezing your little butt off down there. Must rush, girls coming for lunch today. Write ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Shirley. Glad you're in the 21st century!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shirley! You made me smile :-) Yes, it is a brave new world out there, LOL, and we have no choice but to go with it. I understand your fear about the security, but is does make the life so much easier.... Well done for having a go!!
    Thank you so much for your lovely comments :-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, ha, ha, I am filling this space with laughter



    .............

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.