Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Still Here

As everyone is no doubt aware, Queensland has been hit with a catastrophe of enormous proportion, with lives and homes lost.  Our thoughts go out to all those affected by this terrible situation.

The day I was to move, we had experienced some constant rain, and when the removalists arrived they would not bring the truck onto the property for fear of getting it bogged. Something I could not comprehend from two big burly truck drivers who said they had been driving for 20 years....

If you ask me though  they sent a monster pumpkin to pick up a pimple.  The truck was enormous, but was the only one available at the time due to the other trucks being stranded all over the flooded State.

I was disappointed, but as the days went by, and after the tragedy in Toowoomba when  that dreadful inland tsunami  went through the main street and continued on to the Lockyer Valley, smashing everything in its path, I have come to realise that I am so fortunate to be here, high and dry, even though we now cannot get off the property after the unrelenting rain where we received 6 inches overnight which overflowed the dam.

The bitumen road just outside the gate has water running under it, and is really squishy and bouncy to walk on, so we dont know how much water is under there, or if there is a hole so are waiting on the authorities to come out today to inspect it.

We have food, and safety which is more than so many people all over this country. Next cities  being  hit are Ipswich and Brisbane, and the floods are expected to peak higher than the infamous 1974 floods.  So all my problems have paled into insignificance and I just feel for all the people affected.

I grew up living beside  the Brisbane River, and saw King tides and flooding, but nothing like what is happening now.  But then Brisbane was a sleepy safe city to grow up in. Where we lived we had to travel across the river each day in a ferry to go to school, and then work and shopping, and I do have memories of travelling in that small boat across a raging river and surviving.

Looking down the driveway on the left the topsoil has gone and it is down to rock

The road outside  the gate where the water is running under the road

this is a hole gouged in the rock after the 6 inches of rain overnight

An unbelievable  deep hole (about 2feet) gouged in the rock base
So my friends I have re-connected to the internet for the time being, and now just have to sit and wait, but in the end I still have somewhere to go, and my possessions, and my life, which is more than so many other Queenslanders have right now. It is really a sad day for Australia.

17 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear you are doing alright Shirley! My heart was in my throat watching the films of the flood on our news and I felt sick watching people struggling to get out of vehicles being swamped by water. Thank God you are in a safe place Shirley and for that I am grateful! Stay safe and I will continue to pray for all of Australia and her wonderful people...
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you are OK Shirley I have been worried about you.
    I was going to e-mail you but I remembered that you would not be online for a while so I didn't do it.
    Take care my friend.
    Safe hugs
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shirley, so happy you are safe! I have been reading about the weather there. My heart goes out to all those that have lost their homes and other things. :(
    Thanks for sharing some photos.
    Keep safe.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people in Australia affected by the flooding. It is so good to know that you are safe, Shirley. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was worrying about you and what had happened. So glad you are still safe and dry even tho the rest of Queensland is having problems. We have been catching up with friends but all are ok, some cut off and not sure how long for or how the food is going to pan out, but they are alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You & all the people affected by the water have been in my prayers & will continue to be...glad you are ok

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to here you are safe and well Shirley. Stay safe I hope the weather improves quickly and all the repairs and re-building can begin as soon as possible. It has been absolutely heart wrenching to see the devastation here in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really sad happenings there. You have to be patient still a few days till the roads are safe again. Thank goodness, that you are well. Love from Anneliese

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to hear you are safe Shirley. My heartfelt prayers go out to you and all those in the flood areas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very relieved you are OK Shirley. I hope the flood waters go as fast as they arrived. Thinking of you, and the many others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Shirley, I have been soooooooooooooooooooooo very very worried about you. It was very good to read your post today to know you are OK. I am so shock and sadden with all the photos I have seen of your lovely QLD. Unbelieveable that the rain does not stop. My heart and prayers go out to you all. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to know that all is well with you Shirley - and that you are able to count your blessings - the footage seen on TV here in the UK has been shocking and it's hard to comprehend the scale of the flooding. My thoughts are with all those who have been affected by this dreadful weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Shirley, what can one say? I keep watching our news over here, with all those terible pictures. I have just been reading Linda's post (http://billabongs2bling.blogspot.com), that is all we can do. My thoughts are with you:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. My prayers are with the people there, Shirley. Such a sad state there...I pray it stops raining right now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Shirley, sorry to hear your plans have been disrupted, but as you say, you are still safe, and like us, only inconvienced. We just ride it out. I do hope you can have that driveway repaired soon and be on your merry way. Thanks for your kind comments on my hardanger. You are always so supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. By the look of that driveway and entrance, it will be some time before you move. Like you, our thoughts are with the thousands of Queenslanders who are suffering such terrible losses. It has hit hard but we will bounce back. Glad you are back on the air, Take Care, Di.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Shirley, pleased to know you are safe.You will be on your way again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.