Dianne has asked me for the crab and camembert tarts so here it is. This receipe is from the Womens Weekly Dinner Party Cookbook.
The ingredients are for 6 x 10cm flan tins, but I use the same flour and double the filling, and make it in a scone tray. Then cut it into squares.. It can be eaten hot, or cold
Pastry:
2 cups plain flour, 1/4 teasp. baking powder; pinch salt; 150g (5oz) butter, 1 egg yolk, 1 teasp lemon juice, 1 tablespoon water.
Filling
150G can camembert cheese ( or 2 of these for scone tray)
150g can crab ( 2 for scone tray)
4 shallots
4 eggs (5 eggs for scone tray)
3/4 cup cream
2 tab sour cream
salt, pepper
Pastry:
Sift dry ingrediens into bowl, rub in butter until mixture resembles dry breadcrumbs. Mix to a firm dough with lightly beaten egg yolk, lemon juice and water. I rested the pastry in the fridge for 3/4 hour) Then turn pastry on to li9ghtly floured surface, knead lightly. Divide into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion out thinly to fit base and sides of the flan tins, or roll out to fit scone tray.
Filling: slice cheese thinly. Sprinkle drained crab over base of quiche, top with sliced cheese. Sprinkle the finely chopped shallots over the top of the cheese.
Beat eggs together lightly, combine with cream, sour cream, salt and pepper. Pour carefully into small quiches or large quiche.
Bake in moderately hot oven 10 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate, cook further 15 to 20 minutes for small quiches, until filling is set, but I cooked it longer in the scone tray until I was sure the pastry was cooked and the filling set.
I have put in brackets the amounts I use if I am making it into a scone tray. If you are fortunate enough to have fresh crab meat, it would be even better. I used to be able to get very good canned crab, but all I could buy this time did not seem like real crab to me, but there was a crab flavour.
Oh lord, Shirley...this looks wonderful! I MUST make it soon. I am gonna send it in e-mail to my SIL too...she and my bro would absolutely love it! Thanks for posting this awesome recipe!!!
ReplyDeleteShirley your recipe sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Thank you for posting the recipe Shirley. Now - where can i find some decent fresh crab!!! Didn't realize how spoilt we were at Rainbow Beach with the seafood til we moved to the country. Will have to make this soon - tinned or fresh - sounds great.
ReplyDelete