Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Week 18 Wave stitch

This first picture is of the complete sampler for my wave stitch. I wanted to change my colour schemes after finding the deep variegated red "Watercolour" thread in one of my boxes. This went well with another finer one I discovered as well.....really need to get my threads in order again.








For the first trial of the stitch I used the fine variegated thread on Lugano fabric. I found it very hard to keep count of the threads so it is not very even. My eyesight must be letting me down.


Then I decided to do a bit of a variation and this is the wave stitch upside down at the beginning, with a row the right way up, then back to the upside down wave stitch.

Think this could made a nice seam stitch in CQ and lends itself to some possibilities.
With the second and third rows I used the same vertical straight stitch for all the rows. I used variegated threads again, which gives it a nice effect. I tried to keep the colours of the picture the same as for the samples

When I was playing with the stitch, I got the impression this could make good rocks, so for a bit of fun decided to do a "scene".
The idea for the scene was from a painting I had done of a gorge in central Australia.
First I worked the vertical straight stitches over the painted area in a higgldy piggldy arrangement, and then joined them up with the wave stitches going in directions that I thought would give the impression of rocks.
For the colours on the fabric I used my water colour pencils.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Shirl, you are a genius with needle and thread. Rocks out of wave stitch - fabulous. I love the little scene you have created. Di

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.