At last! This part of the picture is finished. Now all I have to do is to work the "land" garden part on the right hand end.. These two pictures are going to be in the one frame with the two parts separated by the mount board. I would like this to be cut in one piece to go over both parts.There have been quite a few changes as this has progressed, so I hope that I have been successful in creating something to please.
When my son was married last year, I collected some tiny pieces of coral that were washed up on the beach, as well as some of the sand from Dunk island. So I spread some acid free glue along the front of the fabric and sprinkled some of the sand onto it, then while I was at it, I also sat some tiny shells into the sand, along with the coral, and then tied them down with silver thread.
I decided to forego the big needlelace fish...because it would have been out of proportion so used small beads, instead. Although I did have a lovely glass turquoise one I used instead.
Have just had a look at the photo in close up and would you believe it noticed something I missed....when I took the photo I forgot to check that all the elements were sitting correctly...the purple plate coral made from wired ribbon in the centre back is sitting up instead of being level....Damn! never mind, I will make sure it is correct when it is being framed.
I will be glad when I get the land garden end completed so I can move on to something else.....like ironing?
When my son was married last year, I collected some tiny pieces of coral that were washed up on the beach, as well as some of the sand from Dunk island. So I spread some acid free glue along the front of the fabric and sprinkled some of the sand onto it, then while I was at it, I also sat some tiny shells into the sand, along with the coral, and then tied them down with silver thread.
I decided to forego the big needlelace fish...because it would have been out of proportion so used small beads, instead. Although I did have a lovely glass turquoise one I used instead.
Have just had a look at the photo in close up and would you believe it noticed something I missed....when I took the photo I forgot to check that all the elements were sitting correctly...the purple plate coral made from wired ribbon in the centre back is sitting up instead of being level....Damn! never mind, I will make sure it is correct when it is being framed.
I will be glad when I get the land garden end completed so I can move on to something else.....like ironing?

That is really beautiful Shirley.
ReplyDeleteI picked up some tiny shells from the beach when we were in Margaret River last year and put them into 'Natraliste' our memory quilt of the trip. You will always think of you sons wedding at every glance now. Love the way you are planning to frame it too.
Your reef picture is really lovely Shirley!
ReplyDeleteBlow the ironing Shirl. Your stitching on this is amazing. You have used such a wide variety of stitches, yet captured all types of coral and sea objects. Look forward to seeing what the land one is going to be like. Di
ReplyDeleteShirly,
ReplyDeleteYour reef work is beautiful.I like the 3D effect
Such a delight Shirley! Connie.
ReplyDeleteYou are one super talented lady! Fantastic work!
ReplyDelete