Why did I not get stressed with the computer? I wonder if it could have something to do with the aroma of the soups which were simmering on the stove. I had been very busy while waiting for the downloads..... having brekky, tidying up and preparing the soups. ....Gee I think I am tired after reading all that!One pot of roast pumpkin soup, and the other of sweet potato and coriander - two of our favourite soups. I had roasted and prepared the pumpkin the night before while cooking dinner. They have turned out nice and thick and quite yummy so guess what we are having for lunch for the next couple of days.
I do think that soup needs to be the type that can be eaten with a fork if necessary....well not really that thick but you get the idea. I don't like thin soups. The aroma of something lovely cooking in the kitchen gives a marvellous feeling to a home.

Can't remember when I last ate tin or packet soup...oh yes I can....that awful artificial stuff at the hospital.
Somewhere among all that I'd had my shower and dressed ready for the shopping. Since by this time the soups were finished, decided that was a good time to get out and do our errands in town, leaving the damn computer to its own devices....
Our butcher, who is in another nearby town in the opposite direction, had phoned late Wednesday afternoon to say our side of yearling was ready to collect on Thursday as well, so after returning home to stash the groceries and have a quick early lunch, off we went again.

We have been dealing with this butcher for six years and have never had a bit of tough steak. His beef is from his own farm and is grass fed and beautiful. It is much cheaper to buy our meat this way, and is so convenient always having meat in the freezer. What with supplementing it with fish and chicken and other meals, the side lasts us almost twelve months. DH always helps me with the packing and stacking which is a big job and very messy to say the least.
By this time the soups were cold, so I blended and packed them as well. Now the freezer is full of good stuff again. With my supplies of Ham and Pea soup already there, I now have enough soups to last through the winter. Although still need to do the beef and vege soup from the stock I will make from the bones that came with the meat.
The freezer in the top of the shed fridge is full as well, so come wind and rain and blizzards, we are prepared for anything and certainly won't go hungry.
It is nice to look your freezer, all stuffs neatly arranged and then you will have your own time to spent. But here... we have to prepare it daily... soooo sad.
ReplyDeleteA few of our favorite soup flavours too. Yumm! I do make a lot of our own 'fridge thrower' types, what ever is to hand. They usually end up a stoups, hate thin ones also.
ReplyDeleteYou make the BEST soup ever. Now you will have heaps of time to stitch as you have ready prepared lunches, yes?
ReplyDeleteFrom ubuntu to kitchen...you're fabulous!! As Thendral said,here in India we cook everyday. Frozen stuff is not acceptable here. Usually the frozen stuff is bought from the supermarket and used. But Shirley,what I don't understand is,how does the homemade stuff last so long? For instance,the soup you made - how long will it last? -months? And meat?? 12 months!!! Do you process it in some way?
ReplyDeleteI think I'll have to come and stay there to get an idea :)
Your freezer makes a housewife happy! Wonderful stocks. I am not freezing very much, except fruits like sour cherries or redcurrants from the garden. Bread ok. And....everything that is left when we go on travel. A practical thing this freezer.
ReplyDelete