Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Monday, 14 June 2010

More furry animals

Looked out the front door the other morning, and here were two buck wallabies just hanging round on the front lawn. One of them was intent on finding a flea on is back leg, and the other keeping watch.





Then all of a sudden a female appeared at the gate, and these two decided they would have a territory stoush and became the two boxing kangaroos (read wallabies) and prove to her who was the best male.








The previous night one of the buck wallabies sat himself down near the water dish as though to say well that was a nice feed, maybe I will have a rest now.









Could not resist getting another photo of the baby rabbits. Today we counted 6 of them in the garden frollicking back and forth among the lavender bushes and the other shrubs. They were having a great time. This little fellow was hiding in the front of the garden from the others. He looks just ready to jump out and say "peekaboo"

Hope they dont continue to proliferate at this rate, or the petunias I planted may not survive.
The hares which we have also have already eaten the tops off all the young pineapple plants, and all the leaves off the rose bushes. Thank goodness this is round the time to cut them back.



4 comments:

  1. Like the wallabies, I am afraid a rabbit here means the shotgun comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your furry friends are keeping you amused. Observing nature can take away a lot of stress. Love the bunnies you have. We only have hares around here - thousands of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cruel question: Does somebody shoot and eat the hares? Oh, oh! Proliferation was a problem in Australia centuries ago, we learned at school. do they have natural enemies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Anneliese they do not have natural enemies, but perhaps if it were summer there could be a big snake to eat them. We saw a huge red belly black when we first came here...had to be 12 ft long and as thick as my leg...but absolutely beautiful shiny colours. He was more afraid of me though and took off.

    Actually I remember having rabbit stew a lot after the war and rabbits saved a lot of families from going hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.