Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Change of pace

For a change thought I would go back to my art. I go through stages when i paint..i might concentrate on gorges, or landscapes, but with this I was in a "tulip" phase, and this is a favourite...I have a lot of favourite paintings...maybe I should just say I was satisfied with this. I was please with the mix of hydrangeas in the background. I am not what you would call formally trained...and mostly paint from my heart and inspiration of what I see around me.

It would be nice to have more discipline I suppose,, but I just like the freedom of being able to decide on the spur of the moment what I want to paint, and going with it from there.
This painting is an acrylic, a medium I concentrated on for a long time.

When I decided I wanted to learn to use oil paints, I did take a few lessons from and "expert"...however, I gave this away, when I realised I was paying money to hear just how good this person was. I then joined a small group of painters, and the best advice I received was from fellow artists who gave generously of their knowledge. I did paint some landscapes which are here, but soon reverted to my still life, florals.....and of course tulips. This painting won a highly commended in the oil section at a competition. I was quite chuffed, because the standard of the other art was really high.

Oh no, not another tulip....but there is more.....
I have always yearned to have the ability to paint in an abstract style, but don't seem to have an abstract bone in my body...maybe when I get old and my brain begins to go that ability might happen naturally and I might produce an abstract masterpiece. But for now this is the bravest I got....to going outside the square.....

I do have another "tulip" which is a work in progress..I know it just needs something to give it oomph and finish it , cut cant decide which...and it will have plenty of time to really dry out (it is an oil) because I have been concentrating on my embroidery.....but my heart is beginning to lean towards picking up a brush so one never knows...




6 comments:

  1. Oh my Shirley you do have an eye for most arty things.....i love em....so wonderful...my favourtie is the purple one....so wonderful on the eyes xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you paint, too! They are beautiful! I love all of them!
    I took a watercolor class and decided it wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why the second won a highly commended, it's lovely!! Picasso didn't start out with his abstracts either, but I know what you mean. I'd like to be 'looser', I go into too much detail and realism. Maybe oneday I'll be content wih what I can do!! It's good having many strings to the bow though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like your tulips, Shirley - particularly the middle painting - I like the looseness and foliage. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one very talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow shirley there really is no end to your talent your paintings are as amazing as your needlework i am in awe of your talent !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.