This blog space is a record of what I have made and through this hopefully I can make new friends. My underwater scenes, using a variety of threads and found items are my favourite outlet for my creativity. Techniques such as Silk Ribbon, Brazilian, Casalguidi, Blackwork, Mountmellick, and Schwalm have also captured my imagination. I am also an artist, using acrylics and oils to capture the Australian landscape and Still Life.
Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm
Shirley I have a friend who is an antique needlework dealer and I will ask her if she knows what it is.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a Lucet Shirley. Used for making cords. There should be a little stopper for the prongs too, long gone I expect. I have one, more modern but they date from the Vikings!!
ReplyDeleteThe lucet for making cord sounds feasible. More so than a pickle fork, especially as it was in her sewing basket :-) Unless she popped pickled onions in her mouth as she stitched!! Whatever it is, it looks like it is beautifully made and I just want to touch it.
ReplyDeleteDi, Mum would not even eat cucumbers without salting them and making them go all limp and soggy..and revolting..so cant remember her eating pickled onions, although they were always on the xmas table with the pork and apple sauce.
ReplyDeleteHello Shirley, WOW this is truly beautiful and I think it is Ivory too. Not sure what it would of been officially used for but I would my threads around it. vbg Hugs Judy
ReplyDeleteHi Shirley,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your good wishes.
I have never seen gadget like this, it will be interesting to find out its use.
M x
I too think it may be a lucet although usually the prongs are turned out a bit,
ReplyDeleteI bet NordicNeedle would know! I will send a link to this post to them and see.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it is a lucet (been making and using them for years now). A lucet, which is a lot of un to use, has a bit more room between the prongs and is usually "tipped" out at the tips (to better hold the threads on). It is absolutely divine, though, and I can't wait to find out what it is. I'll keep checking back.
ReplyDeleteShirley, I just received my May/June 2010 issue of Piecework Magazine and in it...it talks about Maltese Crochet. The article goes on to talk about hairpin lace which is "a form of lacy crochet worked over an implement resembling a large steel hairpin or a two-pronged fork". What do you think? Did you mum crochet?
ReplyDelete