Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Sunday, 14 March 2010

sausage rolls and salmon mini quiches

After all the kaffuffel with my computers, I suddenly remembered I was supposed to be making sausage rolls and had thawed 2kg of pork sausage mince ready. So while I was waiting for the puff pastry to thaw I went out to the garden and picked some herbs...thyme, oregano, sage, basil, parsley, washed and chopped it (about 2 handfulls in that amount of mince) and threw it into the mince together with 2 eggs, a dash of tomato sauce, and a very finely chopped red onion.

Mixed it all together, and after they were cooked remembered I had left out the fresh breadcrumbs....not to worry they still taste good. Because I suffer from Menieres I use very little salt since it seems to be a trigger and there is enough salt in the pastry anyway. The herbs give all the flavour you need without being too spicy.

There are twice as many as this. I freeze them and then double bag them in amounts suitable for 2.

As it turned out I had one sheet (already thawed) of the puff pastry and since I hate throwing good stuff out, cut it into squares and put them into the muffin pan holes. Then I opened a med small tin of salmon and mixed the juice, bones all together and spooned it evenly into the pastry topped with chopped spring onion and some broken up slices of cheese. Next I beat one egg with a fork and poured in some cream (about 1/4 cup or a dash more or less (cant get too fat) and baked them in the oven. A really easy and quick lunch for unexpected visitors served with a salad.

They are our yummy lunch today. Know they are yummy because we snuck one for a nibble.

1 comment:

  1. Not only are you an accomplished embroiderer, you are a great cook. Will definitely be trying out these two recipes. Never made sausage rolls before!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.