Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Creative Underwater

I became interested in creating embroideries depicting coral reefs on one of our trips North when I visited the Barrier Reef Aquarium in Townsville, and set about exploring the ways of creating these in embroidery. I have used a lot of silk ribbon in combination with other threads and techniques and get a lot of satisfaction out of the outcomes. In the beginning I was influenced by Judith Montano's work, but then began to explore my own ways of creating the various corals. Hope you like these.









The photos are parts of larger pictures but the one I like most of all is this one. It is quite large, and was part of a piece I used to share my work with some friends. I worked the embroidery on a piece of linen on which I painted the background.



It is framed to create a 3 dimensional effect and is really quite beautiful.I will post some closeups of parts of the embroidery.


2 comments:

  1. Your stitches really do a good job of replicating the real coral. The amount of the work in the large picture is just mind boggling, and it is certainly going to be a family heirloom. Thank you for showing me some of your special underwater stitches some time back. They really made the crazy block about the beach special. You are a legend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing! Thank you for posting these. You are truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.