Everyone has seen one of these things, right. And everyone is thinking how could I not know how to use one.... right?.. Well no, I did not know only because I succumbed to the "fear of things technical speaking to me, ...I have seen other people using them. I did try one once, pushed the damn thing into the slot at the front of the computer and nothing happened so gave up on them. It was only later when I showed it to a friend who discovered it was no good..a dud... so no wonder it would not work. Well.... it had after all come free with an antivirus software package I had when Microsoft was on my computer, so I guess that says it all.
Anyway, I am going away for a break in a couple of months time, and wanted to take some photos and documents with me that were on my computer. Saw this gadget on the shelf at the store, and thought "why not" i will try again. Have no idea whether it is good, bad or indifferent but I have it and wonder of wonders it now has pictures on it.
Yes I did plug it in again after I had copied what I wanted and the photos I added are still there. I have no idea if it will work in a computer with runs Microsoft, because my operating system is Linux, but one can only try....and trying I am. Feel like a very clever vegemite.
I also got braver still, clicked on some things, and now have coloured tabs on my Firefox when I open new pages. Can't believe that I went to something and actually did it....they are called addons which is another thing I have been too afraid to touch....
There seems to be a lot of fun stuff you can have.......and yes I always check with someone if I am not sure. I have found a wonderful young man who fixed my computer, and he is very generous with his knowledge of the Linux system and what it can do.
Yet another step into the 21st century for me.
Isn't it exciting when we discover that we can understand all this new stuff.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed at what I have learnt since I got a computer.
Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Dealing with new technology can be intimidating. Glad you are moving along in this 21st century with the rest of us. My son helps me learn new tricks.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day Shirley!
Shirley, you're one up on me! I didn't know what that thing was. Nope, not kidding, never used one. My comp is a dinosaur (kind of like me)........no cell phone, no kindle, no laptop. Part I'm sure is living in the woods where there's no cell phone service....lol
ReplyDeleteSo, good one on you! Yay!
Hi Shirley, I know how you feel 'finding out' about new things [well new to those not in the know!!] on the computer. I am not at all familiar with Linux, we have Windows7, and I am finding it good to use. I too dolled up my FF page ages ago. I do use the USB stick occasionally, to take photos into my son. I can take the full file which he can copy, and then we don't have to worry about large email attachments. We managed to buy a large one at HN in Dalby one day for only a few dollars, so we grabbed it. Good luck with all your computer adventures, it's a great journey.
ReplyDeleteHi Shirley, It sounds like you're doing great! I have a bigger external drive. It holds all the pictures from my old computer but it's not as portable as your cute mini drive. My kids use little jump drives like yours to take college assignments from home computer to school. I think this new technology is wonderful, but I'm still behind the times when it comes to cell phones. I often forget to bring it and don't know how to text or anything.
ReplyDeleteHurrah for technology!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments, Shirley :-)
I think here in England we are more used to terrorist danger, mainly in London, we just hope that our security and their inteligence is up to scratch now. We moved from London years ago and living now in a relative safety of the country, but ...crazy people could be anywhere.
We were in Norway last year and spent a few days visiting friends living not far from the lake where it happened. We managed to get hold of them at last today, so we know they and their family are OK, but in a shock.
Hope all is well with you and you are enjoying living in your new home:-))
Good for you Shirley. You are very savvy for a great grandma I think!!
ReplyDeleteyour 21st century tech adventures had me on the floor.
ReplyDeleteyou go girl!