I was fortunate enough to be invited to join some of the ladies from the Crows Nest WOTE (Women on the Edge) Group on a bus trip to the Brisbane Textile Fair on Saturday.
All week I had been fretting about being able to wake at 5am, but fortunately I did, since we had to leave about 6.30 to pick up a couple of Toowoomba ladies and drive to a small town near Crows Nest to catch the bus. The temperature had been predicted to go down to 3deg so that wasn't something to look forward to. I travelled with my good friend Dianne and it turned out to not be quite as cold as expected.
Did not take my camera so sorry no photos of the show itself, or the actual trip. I am sure however, there will be lots of photos of all the wonderful work that was on display on other blogs.
When we arrived after the bus trip, the first stop was a fortifying coffee and cake, and then it was "here we come"
There were lots of stalls and wonderful things to look at. I was amazed at the range of new products to play with that are on the market now. The Art Quilts were just amazing as were the various displays of challenge work - we have some very talented and creative people here in Queensland.
As we arrived we came across Jacinta from the Thread Studio who was giving a demonstration of felting. Her technique was so different (and so easy) from when I learned quite a few years ago. Using lovely coloured wool fibres, threads, lace, and ribbons, she produced a beautiful piece of felt. Her samples of her work were amazing, and she was very generous with sharing her knowledge.
This inspired us to "have a go" at felting once again, and we found some bags of lovely coloured pure wool. The orange coloured piece is pure silk. Felting seems to be the current craze so there were a lot of stalls catering for this.
Di bought a bag of different colours and we are going to do some swapsies and "share" a couple of things which Di will show on her blog after the long weekend. So keep looking.
At lunchtime we caught up with Robin MacWhinney of Robins Ramblings. It was really nice to actually meet a cyber friend in person.
Because my first love is embroidery I was fascinated by the ranges of threads on the Thread Studio stall which had a good assortment to choose from and these are the colours that caught my eye.
![]() |
| I love variegated threads and the permanent marker pen is to write the name of the stitches on my Tast Book. |
![]() |
| close up of the greens "fancies" |
![]() |
| close up of the turquoise "fancies" |
![]() |
| Card of felt strip felt |
When I was going through a cupboard last week I found this piece I started "many" years ago, and have decided it is my next project to complete. It is based on the Australian landscape from the reef to the outback. I am going to alter a couple of things, but thought I could make great "rocks" from this felt. Don't ask how I am going to do that, but I guess it will come to me as I go along. The colours of the threads will also be just perfect for this piece of work.
The array of quilting fabrics, while not large, was interesting, with good colours and designs to choose from for quilters. These are what I chose although the colours in the photo are not quite true. The pink is for inside the cover of my fabric book and is actually a deeper burgundy. It is a Japanese design fabric. The blues are more in the turquoise range, and I am sure I will find a project they will be perfect for.
Arrived home extremely tired after such a long and enjoyable day, so it was just a quick snack, cup of tea and off to bed. It was so good to be invited to attend such an interesting exhibition.







Ooooh, Shirley, I am drooling over your threads, and material and felting supplies! It sounds like you had a marvelous time, and I wish i could have been there. It'll be nice to see what you create, and to see your WIP finished.
ReplyDeleteWow Shirley I would so have loved to have been on that little trip with you guys! The colors are all just too fabulous (can you tell I am a color freak?) I love the project you found and are going to finish, I can hardly wait to see how you will finish it!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful day and keep smiling!
Tina xo
Hi Shirley, I have been drooling over your work here! Love the "half dolls" & many thanks for sending me your pattern which I have not done anything with yet what with all of the earthquakes & such. I have a page within my niece's website called: www.pointy-ears.com/lyn
ReplyDeleteIf you copy & paste this link it should bring you right to my page. Love your work & love doing the work!! Lynette Hale.
Good Day, Shirley. Wow what a great trip you and Di went on. Love all those lovely threads in really very lovely colors. The wool is wonderful and I am sure you and Di will have a great time felting with them. I also really like your CQ block and your stitching. I will look forward to seeing it done. I am glad you and DI had a super wonderful day. Take care Hugs Judy
ReplyDeleteI love the threads you bought!
ReplyDeleteGlad that you had fun Shirley - love the colours of the quilting fabrics. Lesley
ReplyDeleteSome wonderful stash here Shirley...
ReplyDeletesooo good to see you're enjoying yourself and having a grand time. thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a fab time Shirley. We didn't do too much damage to the wallet!! Looking forward to seeing your Australian scene crazy block take further shape. No doubt, it will be wonderful:-) Looking forward to a felting day too....
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts on the day Shirley. Everything you purchased looks great. I was thinking of you girls all day and hoping the weather would be kind. I love all your purchases, but have to say you were quite restrained. I don't think I've ever been that good. I can't wait to see how your piece is when you work some of your magic on it. The felt piece is so cool...
ReplyDelete