Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Sunday, 26 June 2011

Play Time

Recently my cyber friend Suztats posted her technique for  painting postcards.  I was  fascinated with her methods and the wonderful results she achieved.  This is something I  have been wanting to try  ever since, and today I took the plunge.  Thank you Suz for inspiring me to take up my brushes again.

Firstly I could not find my painting mediums, but after hours of searching discovered them in a box in the garage I had not unpacked!    I wanted to use my acrylics with a watercolour medium and see what happened.

Well I cant say I am overly excited about the results so far.  I still  don't seem to have any  abstract bones in my body, and keep wanting to paint realistically, so there is lots of room for improvement.   This is the first time I have taken up a brush in about 3 or 4 years, so the mere fact that I "actually painted" something made me feel good anyway.

First of all I used aquadhere and texture paste to form flowers and swirly bits.  I also stuck down some masking tape.
Then Icoloured the background green/green mixed with red/green mixed with purple and alizarine for the flowers. When I pulled the masking tape off it pulled up some of the top of the paper so made designs where the paint grabbed.
I took to it with a chux wipe and blured edges. Then I took a fine brush and emphasised outlines and shapes with purple, then blurred again with the chux.  This time with a bit of  dampness in the cloth..
Then I blurred the purple and fiddled until my brain said no more.  Even then I could not resist coming back later and fiddling. So it is not now this purple but more muted.
Here are a few samples of the smaller cards cut from the whole piece. I could not get over the number of figures I could see.  Cut up, the cards came out better than expected. Some I think I will decorate and play with more.





11 comments:

  1. Very creative Shirley. It's really interesting seeing the process and the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you playing with your paints again before they dry up like mine did!! These cut outs are going to make gorgeous cards. It is hard trying to do abstract - i certainly struggle with it. DI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun technique, Shirley! I think they turned out very well. Have you ever tried doing miniatures painting...you could try a realistic painting on the postcard size too...that would be really awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your results! It's fun to play with paint and you're very good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to hear that you've got the paints out again Shirley. That in itself is a giant leap forward!! What you've created is really lovely in my opinion. The whole piece is beautiful, but cutting it into individual card pieces gives you so much scope for alteration with embroidery. I had fun reading your process, so thanks for doing a step by step. I had never thought of using the Aquadhere for anything other than glueing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, the Header grows more beautiful every time I visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fabulous results, Shirley! It's wonderful that you picked up your paints and brushes again!! I find it amazing that the paintings cut up are often more than the whole.
    Your header is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Shirley I'm impressed--they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure have a fancy and wonderful header, Shirley!
    You definitely are quite talented with paint and brushes....wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new header is beaut, Shirley. I love the starfish and shells one. Di.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The result is amazing, the postcards are lovely, Shirley. It seems you are starting to calm down after the turmoil of moving etc. It is really like that: One needs much time and freedom for creating before getting things out to create.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.