Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Saturday, 25 June 2011

Almost there

Some years ago when I lived at Rainbow Beach, I met my friend Dianne, and we have been friends ever since.  We belonged to the local Craft Group with a lot of other clever and enthusiastic ladies.  For one of our workshops Dianne offered to start some ladies off with patchwork.  I took to this like a duck to water, and for a while was forever cutting up expensive fabric and putting it together again.

Then painting took over my life, and since then I have opted for just  embroidering squares for the other great grandchildren, and then handing them over to Dianne to put together.  I did intend doing the same with these two, but Di had other ideas, and offered to come and help with the cutting but I had to do the sewing.

Last Thursday was the big day, and we had a great time of it.  I even likened Di to a sewing teacher from Grade 5 because Di was watching my stitching and seeing that I stuck to the 1/4 in.seams.  She did make me unpick when I went crooked,  which made me think of the sewing teacher who sadistically made us unpick everything she could find fault with. So we had a bit of a laugh.

I was a little concerned about the 3in squares in the corners of one quilt and tried my best to make them perfect and get teacher's approval.  I almost succeeded, but as my Dad would say...."a blind man on a galloping horse would not see it".

So here are the sneak peaks of the tops, they are now in the hands of the darling Di, who has so kindly offered to do the quilting for me.  Secretly I think she is just as excited as me to see this project coming to fruition.

Thank you so much Dianne for all the help and encouragement you have given me not only with this, but my other projects as well.


The red quilt border fabric has ladybugs, and the binding will be in that fabric as well. The backing is a red with a star pattern.

The purple sticking out round the cupcake quilt is the backing, and now I forget which fabric is for the binding.  I like the soft colours of this.  Sorry the photos are not clear, I am having trouble with my camera at present.






8 comments:

  1. I love it so far Shirley and good for you to get some past projects completed!
    I have a few as well and have been trying to find the time to get to them, maybe this summer will be my year!
    Have a great weekend sewing and do post a photo of the completed piece!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing them! It's nice that Diane pushed you a little to do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shirley, It sounded like you and Di had a super great day together dispite the unpicking bit. LOL wow you did a fantastic job on sewing your quilts together and they look wonderful. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it wonderful to have a good friend to help with the tricky bits? Looking forward to seeing them all finished. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both quilts are really pretty Shirley, but I must admit to having a soft spot for the ladybug one. I LOVE ladybugs!! Dianne is wonderful to help isn't she. We all need a Di at times. I am sure she will attest to your generosity of spirit as well. What a lovely friendship you two have. BTW, I think your new collage at the top looks great. I haven't found how to do that yet [in GIMP or ADOBE]. I'm always two steps behind everyone else!! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so nice to have a friend to share the love of art with. You never know where you will meet your best friend! The quilts look lovely and I can't wait to see them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gee, Shirl, these colours are not coming out very well on your camera. The ladybug quilt is quite vibrant. They are all quilted and the binding put on all ready for you to sew. "Miss Howarth" in disguise will come along later and see that you did your best hemming on them:-)
    They are both so very cute, and of course your embroidery makes them. Well done 10 out of 10 for the sewing. xxx Di.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Shirley, at your sewing. They both look great. I'm glad Di isn't looking up close at my work, I'm not the most exacting when it comes to sewing. As long as it all matches up on the front, I think it's ok!
    These two are going to be really lovely when they are finished. You'll need to take close ups of the embroidery too, so we can see how pretty they are.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.