Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Saturday, 14 May 2011

Nana's Song

While unpacking and sorting I came across this sheet music that has a real story to it.  The song "In Your Green Hat" is one my grandmother sang to us and I have remembered the chorus always.

 Over the years whenever I was in any antique shops of fairs and saw sheet music I would always look through hoping to find this particular song.

Then one night I was watching the "collectors" on the ABC where the programme was on old music and lo and behold on top of a box of music sheets there was "In Your Green Hat".  After contacting them I was put in touch with a kind gentleman in Tasmania, who was only too happy to provide me with a copy.

The original was printed in green, but I am happy to have the black and white version.  Has anyone ever heard this song.  It holds such lovely memories for me of Nana. 

The words of the chorus go:

"In your green hat you're beautiful,
You're the best dressed girl in town,
In you're green hat you're wonderful
from your shingle top all the way down.
You're like a fashion show from head toe
What a picture what a face and what a chapeau'

Here is a photo of my Nana with grandfather and my mother as a little girl...and of course Teddy.

9 comments:

  1. I don't know the song, but the your story is beautiful. The old picture is delightful with the teddy bear included. I can see a resemblance between you and your grandparents! Di.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the song Shirley. How lovely that you managed to find the music. Do you play any instruments at all?? Lovely to see another photograph from your family album. Have a great day in Toowoomba today...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this song either! It is a neat one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely family photo and beautiful grand-parents. You found a treasure, Shirley!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shirley,

    Hope you are doing well. :)
    I have never heard of that song . Love the story and that photo is great. I love black and white photos. :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know the song either, but I am so glad you were able to find a copy of the music. I am just catching up on blogs after a busy few weeks, so I have only just read about your move into your new home. I am so glad you are settled at last, even if the cleaning process was awful. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I join everyone else in saying that I don't know the song. I do love the story and photo of your family. I love hearing stories like that! What a nice memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely story Shirley, i have not heard of that song before but it's lovely to have such heart warming memories. Glad your move went well and i hope you will be very happy in your new home !
    hugs
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, nostalgia.
    Shirley, it's so great to have you posting again!
    Thank you for the comment on my blog. Visual journaling is completely out of my comfort zone!
    I'm so not into drawing and painting. BTW, I love your Princess painting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.