Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Friday, 4 March 2011

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

No photos yet so one of my old paintings.
Hello to all my wonderful blogging friends. I am home!  I guess at this point in time Dianne is on her knees praying that I do not have a repeat of the first time I was discharged.

Huge, huge thank you's to all my wonderful blogging friends who have sent such lovely good wishes and prayers to me.  I am just amazed at the outpouring of love I have received from wonderful friends who I did not even know existed 12 months ago.  I am truly doubly blessed to have had the great fortune of getting to know you all.

The cardiologist has me on medication to slow down my heart rate so I wont have a repeat of the initial episode, but they make me a bit tired.  It will take a while for me to get back into the swing of things  because I have been instructed to rest and get my strength back, so please bear with me wonderful friends.

I have been truly blessed with having Dianne as a friend she has just been so wonderful.  Nothing was ever a trouble.  I am forever indebted to her and her lovely kind  husband.

It was very scary spending my first night home alone without the security of the hospital and knowing the nurses were there to care for me should I need them, but when I woke  this morning all I could think of was I was still alive.

Rest for the next few weeks is heavily on the agenda.  I am not sure I will be able to totally comply, but imagine that the Doctors have sorted that one out with medication.
On the subject of Doctors, I was fortunate to have had two of the most wonderful and competent specialists take my case....and by the way both were quite dishy and made me wish I were quite a few years younger. (oops thats right I was supposed to be quite ill and not able to notice those things!)

I have been discharged with so much paperwork to wade through, and appointments for this and appointments for that.

At the moment the cardiologist (the dishy one with the red bow tie) has put off my going to Brisbane for and "ablation" (too scary a procedure to describe), and the medication seems to have regulated the heartbeat.  
At least now I know that should I get any sort of pain I am not to phone for a cab but to dial triple 0 for an ambulance to take me to hospital.  My foolishness in not wanting to cause a fuss in the new neighbourhood by not ringing an ambulance almost cost me my life so wont do that again.  Evidently if I had been a few minutes later in getting to hospital it would have been night night shirley....scary stuff!  Just as well Di was there holding my hand when they told me that.

Bye for now, next week Di and I are really going to get into the course one day together, and might have some more interesting photos.

I dont know whether I should mention "the hospital" ...the State public hospital...

I have always had private hospital cover, so have not experienced the public system which I might add when I was younger had the best reputation in the country before it was decimated by the government heirarchy.  Things have definitely changed, and if it was not for the fact that the wonderful doctors and nurses in emergency saved my life with their knowledge, calmness and expertise I would be rushing off to a solicitor.  The critical care ward was ok, but then they sent me to the "Third world ward" which had all men patients, and one lady who had obviously be injured and was very disabled in body and speech.  

To say I was shocked was a gross understatement...it was disgusting.  We were crammed into this small area like sardines.  The facilities were in an area off the ward, and to my horror there were only shower curtains in front of the toilet and shower...yuk....the toilet seat was up and whoever of the men who had used it had not brushed.  

Needless to say I left there after two terrible nights with a bad reputation  for being a "bitch" and a big red mark against my name.  I refused to use the facilities and  kept the curtains drawn round my bed at all times. I cried and cried it was awful, and they would not transfer me to the private hospital.  

However, when I went back for the second time, I was miraculously moved after only one night and specialists were found for me at the private hospital, where I ended up with a private room in ICU and then when one became available after I was transferred to the ward ward.....which is what I have been paying private insurance for all these years.  The difference in the facilities between the two hospitals was enormous.  However I must add that the dedication of the understaffed nurses in the public sector should be more appreciated by those in power.

And yes, there will be a letter going to the administration.

Sorry this is so long my friends, but now I have got all that off my chest it can only be onward and upward from now on, and yes I do promise to be good!  Off for an early  nana nap now.







23 comments:

  1. Shirley, I am so glad you are home and on the mend. I am sure I will not be the only one to tell you to rest, rest, rest. You are a strong woman and I know you will be out and about soon. Just give yourself time.

    I am so sorry you had a bad time at the hospital the first time. It is so sad that medical care has to be that way sometimes. I am glad your second trip was better and that they treated you well.

    I look forward to seeing your beautiful work again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are better and back home! Scary situation, but thank goodness for Dianne and the competent medical staff! Be good, and rest, and take care of you! Blessings and hugs from Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley,

    Very glad to hear you are home. That was one heck of a hospital experience. Thank goodness you finally were admitted to a private hospital. I`ll patiently wait for another post. Take care.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased to hear you are back home and on the mend Shirley. You definitely had us all worried.
    Your experience in the public hospital system sounds horrendous, I would have done the same thing. It must be especially frustrating when you have paid private health insurance for so many years.
    A similar thing happened when I was pregnant, I had to go to a public hospital even though I had private health insurance, very very frustrating.
    Please please make sure you do take it easy we don't want to hear you are back in hospital again, and you really don't want to go back to the public hospital do you, that should be enough incentive to rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home Shirley and thank you for filling me in on what has been going on.Please take care of yourself and get back to being 100% because I miss all your lovely creative work.
    Big hugs Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back home, Shirley!!! So glad you are on the mend and that you did not have to spend any more time in that county hospital...it sounded just aweful! YEAH,,,Shirley, the best embroiderer in the world is home!!!!! Get loads of rest and enjoy being home again!!!
    xoxo- Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to hear you are home Shirley and seem to have lost none of your spunkiness!!!
    Sadly I think the "public" hospital system is bad no matter where you live!
    I am just so glad you are back and feeling better and I love the picture of the painting you posted...wow I had no idea you were such a talented painter! I can hardly wait until you get your full strength back and post pictures of new paintings!
    Take care Shirley and welcome back!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Shirley, I am very happy to heard that you are home and feeling better again. What a story you had to tell. I could not even imagine being in a large ward with "Men" patient. What an awful system. I would of been upset too. Thank God you got transferred to the private Hospital. And Yes, You have heaps of friends here in the blogging world. Di has certainly been a truly wonderful Friend. What would we do without them. Now be a "Good Girl" and rest allot. Big Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shirley, do take extra good care of yourself. Rest, and do what the doctors say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back,my dear!! and hey,I was sure nothing was going to happen to you - you just started your life afresh,right? and the fun part is still left ;) ...I love handsome doctors..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Shirley, Just so glad you are home to your lovely little unit. Look forward to sharing some fun days with you. Di.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read all and I wrote you separately, dear Shirley. Have good nana naps now! (In fact I must scold you for this long letter - you should rest, and rest - but thank you to inform us.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry about your illness Shirley.You are one strong woman.
    What a good friend you have in Di.
    Hope you are soon creating again, and enjoying your life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely delighted to have your email this morning. You have been in my thoughts. And yes, the ability to have private medical care is worth every penny when it comes to the crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Shirley, glad you are at home recovering. Waving at you from the UK. Your story rang some bells! I'm also under the care of a cardiologist, and I went to A&E with a suspected heart attack early last month. My care in A&E was exceptional, but when I was moved to the Medical Assessment Ward for a night of observation I thought I'd gone to hell! There were very distressed old gentlemen in various stages of undress, one in a nappy, one in nothing at all. The harassed nurses were doing their best to care for them all and admit me at the same time. I had to keep reminding myself that I was there as an emergency and was lucky that I had got the last bed. I was the only ambulatory or continent patient, so at least had the "facilities" just a toilet, no bath or shower, to myself. The care I received from the hard-pressed doctors and nurses couldn't be faulted. However, one poor old gentleman died just before visiting time, while the nurse was speaking to relatives of another patient on the phone. She didn't seem to realise what was happening - I could hear him breathing his last from my bed in the corner - but her lack of experience despite three years training didn't prompt her to put down the phone and attend to him. Had I not been wired up to monitors, I would have gone to hold his hand. The nurse was visibly distressed when she realised he was gone, and his relatives, unable to be contacted as they were in transit to visit, were treated with great sensitivity, as was his poor body which, as it was almost visiting time, had to be laid out and left in the ward for his family - something which was done carefully no as not to upset the other patients. A salutory experience and one I would not wish to repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hooray! Hooray! You have been on one scary ride there...so thankful that you are home...your noted experience at the hospital has been shared by many other patient's & that is so very sad...being a retired RN this is hard to hear...hat's off to those valiant staff who Do make a difference in patient comfort & care...Shirley continue to strengthen & enjoy your new place...Diane is the best! Having a good friend in your corner makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome home Shirley, glad to hear you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you are home now. Take it easy and look after yourself.
    By the way, it doesn't matter how sick you are, cute doctors are cute no matter what and are there to be looked at LOL!!!
    Stay well

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shirley glad to hear you are back home..I just love the way you were smiling and waving in your tough time in one of the picture posted by Di..strong gal..please take good care of your health and I am damn sure you will be back with bang in to the embroidery world.. until then we will be waiting..take care dear..
    Hugs
    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad you are back home.Take care Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Shirley,
    I am very happy that you are at home, try to keep a lot to rest, think positively, everything makes you perform at pleasure, believe in yourself, it helps, everything will be normal soon.
    Thank you to those kind words, take care of yourself,
    Warm greetings, kisses,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so happy you are home. Now I will take better care of myself, after reading this about you not wanting to make a spectacle in your new neighborhood....I totally get it.
    I am very glad you had good treatment, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not having visited for a while, I missed all this and am glad to know that you are back home and on the road to recovery. Look after yourself Shirley - it's good to know that you have the support of friends and family. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.