Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Thursday, 14 October 2010

Buttonhole Stitch

This is my first exploration of the buttonhole stitch for Sharon's Stitchalong with the new templates. I used a single strand of variegated Caron thread, and started with the second from the outside circle.  then I repeated the next and finally the centre circle.

I then worked another circle round the outside, and finished off with a stem of buttonhole stitches facing each other.
The second circle is one from my greyscale Novas piece, where i stitched a circle of buttonhole round the outside, and then used this weeks Tast Stitch to combine the straight stitches.  i finished off with a part circle of spiderweb...which is not very good I dont think....now I have seen it enlarged.

These next samples of buttonholes are from samplers I have worked in the past when I was first learning embroidery.






I worked this sample of buttonhole stitch onto a whole picture which was actually a whole sampler of different stitches








These two bottom button hole stitches  are from the very first sampler when I began to learn embroidery in Gympie in 1994 from Debbie Mercer.  I still have this sampler and treasure it very much.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am LOVING the first one. What a gorgeous idea!! The variegated thread was perfect!


    lovely job on all of them!


    Ann Flowers
    flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting stitches! Such fun! I am going to have to join you with this idea! I have a neat book I would like to send you ...it is all about flower embroidery...very complex, but so gorgeous! I know I will never be able to devote the time to do it. When I get a job again, I would like to mail it to you...I hope it will be soon!!! I will post it on my blog one of these days so you can see it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.