Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Tuesday, 31 August 2010

Learning Gimp

Thanks to Faith from the Digital Group on Stitching Fingers, I have had a go at making a couple of photo montages.  This one of of the wedding I went to....still have a lot to learn.

When I finished adding all the photos the image was something like 35Mb  and would have used up so much and taken so long to post, so what I did was re do it in my scribus programme, thinking I would be able to save it as a graphic but no could do it would only save as a document.

What did I do? I printed out the first one, and then photographed it and this is what I have posted.  Lots to learn!   That is when I went cooking!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you finally got your montage done Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how i do it: resize all images to the same resolution let's say 500 using nearest neighbor when resizing. do the montage and then resize the montage again. i end up with a small image with good resolution.
    there are other ways of resizing, this is just what i use.
    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did well -- very well, especially if you are unfamiliar with the program.

    If you are going by the size of your total image in gimp, it is much less when you save it as a jpg. I did a photo collage of my kiddo when he was little and in gimp it was 198.8 MB, but the jpg is only 369.97 KB. (I remember noticing that kind of discrepancy in my old program, too.) I think it's the layers. Once it's a jpg, it's only one layer again and that's not as large.


    ~Faith
    Sew Many Blessings
    Needle & Fabric Art
    airycat at airynothing dot net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastically interesting comments!!! Shirley, your solution is top! Because you helped yourself.
    Anneliese

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shirley, I haven't commented for a long time. Sorry for that. Today I have to let you know that I love your new header, I love your fabric book pages, and I love the magical things you do with the TAST 2010 stitches. And now you are even learning GIMP. Your are a great textile artist and an amazing woman.
    Congratulations on Ella. What a cute baby.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.