Was watching TV this afternoon, and catching up on some of the things I have taped, when hubby called me to the front window and this is what was there. Isn't this little fellow too gorgeous. He is just the tiniest thing, although I think he may have been the last of the two babies to come out of the pouch. I think this is a different one to the baby in the garden. It would be nice to have them as pets, but they seem to have a lot of fleas and often see them scratching their tummies or their hindquarters. So they would not be good to cuddle. He has the cutest little eyes when you see him up close. Their fur looks very soft. I couldn't get a photo of him hopping as he was too fast. It was amazing to see just how fast those little legs could carry him...Mum had a time of it keeping up.
Sad News
About 5 years ago there was one big buck wallaby who came in almost every day and he made quick work of our green grass....and because we did not have to cut the grass where he always came he was nicknamed "motormower". Well he almost became a fixture here, and then one day just disappeared. We thought at the time he may have been taken by wild dogs, and we really missed his visits.
Sadly a few days ago he arrived back...well we are sure it is him because he almost came to the back door....and seemed to know us. It is terrible to see him now...he is so old and thin and by the way he gets about looks as though he has been hit by something because he is limping on one of his legs. The fur round his mouth is snow white and we cant help thinking he has "come home to die".
I took a couple of photos of him for our own benefit, but cant put them up because they are too distressing. We thought of calling the wildlife people, but his visits are so random he would be hard to catch....so we just have to let nature take its course and he can come and finish his days with fresh water and lush green grass to eat. I nearly cry whenever he is here. He did not come today so maybe he has gone and just wanted to say goodbye.
Ooh, the little joey is precious !
ReplyDeleteJust look at those BIG brown eyes, and the cutest face.
I was sad to read about 'motormower' he must have felt very much at home with you, and knew you welcomed his visits.
I hope he is still around....
Animals can wrench your heart can't they. Poor old kangaroo. It must be good to know he came home to say goodbye.
ReplyDeleteNow you have a baby kangaroo to get close to.
the story is beautiful though sad, fond of animals and when we lose them suffer
ReplyDelete