Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Saturday, 31 July 2010

More Blackwork patterns 21 to 28

Thought it was time I got back to posting more of the Blackwork designs for the Chess Piece. This post will cover 6 patterns and then I will put up the final 5.

This first square is a medium pattern and simple to work. It can be used either horizontally or vertically.

Pattern number 2 is a pretty one, with a lot of possibilities. It can either be worked as a heavy or light pattern by changing the crosses. The boxes are worked first, then joined with the diagonal lines.





The third design can have different variations, but for this one, first work all the cross stitches, then on every alternate row enclose the crosses with boxes.

The next design is similar to the previous pattern. First work the boxes over 3 threads and 3 threads apart then join together the alternating adouble cross stitch and a single cross stitch.

Another simple pattern, in which you can achieve a dark effect. Work a double cross stitch and then a single cross stitch alternately.
The final pattern in the group is comprised of arches in lines over 2 threads.

These patterns were supplied to me by Ada, who ran the Maryborough Embroiderery Group in Maryborough in Queensland. They were all part of the exercise of learning Blackwork Embroidery and stitching the Chess Piece.

3 comments:

  1. Shirl, Amazing how such simple stitches can make such beautiful patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ada was my Grandmother. I am so pleased to find her work living on. She produced so many beautiful pieces in her life. Were any of them retained by the Guild for exhibition?. She devoted such a large part of her life to the Guild I'd like to think that some of her work may still be available to share with a younger generation of embroiderers. Leauarne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blackwork. Your work is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.