I really like this stitch because it can be used in many different ways.My first sample for the stitch is a small flower and I varied the tension and numbers of buttonholes to obtain different effects. I tried to be as near to the instructions as I could.
I used wool thread for both the flowers and the up and down feather stitch background. Because I just worked this stitch off the top of my head, cant tell you how many buttonholes etc there are, but did not want them to be uniform anyway.
Once I had tried out the stitch as per the instructions decided to get a bit daring and so after stitching the first two rows, worked individual petals to form a different flo
wer that can represent a type of lily.For this I used the whole six strands in the needle of a light variegated stranded thread. I worked one row of buttonhole into the circle, with two stitches to each space. Then I did the same thing in the first row of each petal to help them to flare out.
The centre bead is a crystal surrounded by deeper plum beads.
This stitch is one that I have used variations of in my reef embroideries, so I have continued with that theme. These are two views of one of the corals and a picture of the coral that has inspired me for this stitch. I worked the base and first two rows as per the instructions, and then I continued up and flared the stitches.
Below is my interpretation of the squirt coral, but have taken some artistic liberty with the colour.
Below is my interpretation of the squirt coral, but have taken some artistic liberty with the colour.





Wow Shirley that was quick!
ReplyDeleteLove what you have done with it.
wow!!!!!!!!so pretty and so fast
ReplyDeleteThis stitch goes so well with your reef embroidery. It looks like a versatile stich.
ReplyDeleteThe one made in blue color is so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWow !!!Shirley, loved everyone of your attempts and the Lily especially.
ReplyDeleteWow! So many ideas in such a short time. Shirley, your stitching is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful ...
ReplyDeleteThe coral interpretations are awesome Shirley. I love the yellow/green thread you have used in the first coral. The mauve flower is spectacular! Got to come for a lesson on that one.. Di
ReplyDeleteShirley that was very fast and sticthes are very beautiful..
ReplyDeletethanks for your visit to my blog and for your comments..
When I saw Annet's square knot drizzle stitch I thought of you because the stitch might apt for coral reef projects. Here is the link in case if you have not seen
http://fat-quarter.blogspot.com/2010/07/square-knot-drizzle-stitch.html
I was very busy with some wood work n painting at home and so I could not active much online but didn't miss to read your posts. I like the post on soup making and all which gives us a glimpse of other part of the world.. i enjoy reading your post on wallabies too...lucky you..
love
lakshmi
Hi Shirley,
ReplyDeleteYes found the page on German Knotted BH stitch you mentioned. Thanks a lot!!Love your imagination,wish I could borrow some :)
WoW! The mauve one is Drop Dead Gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, your stitches are so pretty. The paintings with stitches are amazing. What is Tast?
ReplyDelete