Agapanthus in bloom

Agapanthus in bloom
Agapanthus at the farm

Thursday, 6 May 2010

Herb Garden

In the midst of everything else in the last couple of weeks, I have also set up this herb garden. I bought the system for my son when he moved into his first flat after returning from London. Now that he and wife have bought their own house they have a proper garden so I have inherited the vertical herb garden. Now instead of a lot of separate pots to water, I have the vertical garden and just water the top and it all trickles down.
I love using herbs in my cooking, particularly in my sausage rolls.




This is my Rosemary Bush, and below is my lovely old lavender bush both of which flourish in our red soils out here.
I have managed to strike quite a few cuttings from these first two bushes so have them everywhere. I have been able to strike the lavenders as well and they grow well together.






Because I had some empty pots, while at the markets last week I bought some flower seedlings of petunias, snapdragons, and pansies so I will have a nice display in spring, and I still have lots of pots to water.


On my walk round the garden discovered this grasshopper having a feed in my rose...was it an insect or the petals.

We have enough trouble with the wallabies and hares heating the roses so don't need another predator. There are some perfectly good chive plants next to the rose he could eat.



Would rather see Bees in the roses because they pollinate and dont destroy.

3 comments:

  1. Some wonderful herbs here....i love Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photography Shirl. Your herb garden is really cute. Nothing like fresh herbs in your cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I think I can inhale the fragrance here in WA!!! It looks like you are going to have some beautiful color with the flowers you are tending.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.