This was my very first attempt. It was made from polyester scraps of fabrics I had, and think I only purchased the plain greens....it is ok ladies I can hear the gasps of horror re the polyester from here....but remember i was a total novice. Even sewed some of the pieces on the squares backwards...so this quilt is quite unique, and i must say it is still going strong and in use in winter.
Whereas the following quilt was made from the expensive cottons, and over time they have rotted and it has been mended and mended until now it is relegated to the inbetween the blankets when the weather gets extra cold.

As you can see I was a complete novice at the choice of colours as well during that time.
Not wishing to give up I continued on...the bug that had bitten me has not been slapped and squashed yet. so here are the two last efforts.




There ended my odyssy into the realm patchwork and quilting....I have just given the last of my stash of the better fabrics to a step grandaughter who at 16 has made her first quilt.
Now if I want a quilt it has squares of embroidery and then I pass this over to my friend Dianne Cahill and she puts them together for me. Aren't I lucky to have such a friend.
Now if I want a quilt it has squares of embroidery and then I pass this over to my friend Dianne Cahill and she puts them together for me. Aren't I lucky to have such a friend.

Nothing wrong with polyester - it's a FABRIC! When I did City & Guilds embroidery some of us didn't have a lot of money to spend on materials, and we used all kinds of things - it made for a richness of texture that some other groups didn't have.
ReplyDeleteI agree. In the early colonial days the ladies used whatever was to hand. Polyester is much more hard wearing (as you found out), and sometimes if it is just the colour I want, I go for it. There is no such a thing as quilting police. Out of all the quilt patterns around, I still am drawn to the log cabin. Happy to help you anytime as you have taught me so much in embroidery. Kudos.
ReplyDeleteI love to see your quilts, Shirley. And how very nice of Di to put your things together, when there is something. As a quilter I don't like this business very much. But it has to be done.
ReplyDelete