A few years ago I had a go at making a quilt. My friend Di was a member of the craft group where we lived and gave us all a lesson in making a log cabin block to give the ladies a taste for patchwork. Well again, I had no idea, so turned up with a whole lot of polyester fabrics....oops.
Well once more I took to the project with relish, and after a while wondered why the blocks looked different! You wouldnt believe it I had sewn half the blocks in the right direction then after an interruption sewed the strips on the rest in the opposite direction!!!
There was no way I was going to unpick or redo all those blocks so I just used them. They looked ok to my amateur eye. so finished the quilt, which was a double size.
I then made another using all the expensive cotton fabrics.
We still have both quilts, and would you believe it the polyester one is still good, although the greens have faded a bit, but the expensive one was on a bed that got too much light and some of the fabrics rotted so had to mend and darn a lot....but I figure it could be used as a lining for a new quilt some time.
So that is why all I do now is to do candlewicking blocks for the baby quilts for the great granchildren. Although in the process of my patchwork "rush" I did make two lap quilts and a double needleturned applique for my grandaughter.
Well once more I took to the project with relish, and after a while wondered why the blocks looked different! You wouldnt believe it I had sewn half the blocks in the right direction then after an interruption sewed the strips on the rest in the opposite direction!!!
There was no way I was going to unpick or redo all those blocks so I just used them. They looked ok to my amateur eye. so finished the quilt, which was a double size.
I then made another using all the expensive cotton fabrics.
We still have both quilts, and would you believe it the polyester one is still good, although the greens have faded a bit, but the expensive one was on a bed that got too much light and some of the fabrics rotted so had to mend and darn a lot....but I figure it could be used as a lining for a new quilt some time.
So that is why all I do now is to do candlewicking blocks for the baby quilts for the great granchildren. Although in the process of my patchwork "rush" I did make two lap quilts and a double needleturned applique for my grandaughter.
With another great grandchild on the way, daughter number 4 rang yesterday to tell me she was in Spotlight and what did she need for the new quilt!!! After a great deal of deliberation and her wandering round the store with the phone to her ear and rolls of fabrics in front of her she decided she liked a nice green, so next question was what other colours do I need Mum, and how much of each? Well I had no idea because I hadn't even decided on how many blocks or how big they were, and since I couldnt see the fabric how could I know that.
Again after more deliberation and getting out my tape measure, as well as a frantic phone call to my friend Di, I think we have got it so I am looking forward to seeing the fabrics and getting started. I will do the candlewicking in white on the green, so that should look nice, because the furniture will be white in Granny's nursery.
Again after more deliberation and getting out my tape measure, as well as a frantic phone call to my friend Di, I think we have got it so I am looking forward to seeing the fabrics and getting started. I will do the candlewicking in white on the green, so that should look nice, because the furniture will be white in Granny's nursery.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting on my posts I will try to reply as soon as I can. However anonymous comments will be treated as spam and not accepted.